This is something I learn about mangoes. It is delicious. It is toxic as well. I didn’t know it until two weeks ago when my friend and I went for a mango-plucking spree.
We had a great time plucking mangoes from the tree right in front of his house, taking turns plucking with a rod and catching the falling mangoes with a basket.
While catching mangoes, some of the sap dripped on my arms. Initially it felt like some kind of burning sensation. The sap was sticky so I washed it off with soap after having feeling satisfied with our catch, three bagful of mangoes.
The following day, rashes started to appear. It was itchy. Thinking it was just a normal rash, I apply some hydrocortisone cream whenever I feel the itch. Things started to get better it seems.
After a week or so, not only did the red patches not resolve, it spreads and become intolerable – redness, hives and itchiness… So itchy I could hardly get a good night sleep. I am allergic to mango sap!
Thanks to my cousin doctor, I am now on prednisone (a corticosteroid for anti-inflammation) and dermovate ointment to get rid of the allergy.
Not so glorious pictures of my left hand and my right hand on day two of treatment/medication.
Things are getting a little better. It is still itchy but not to the point of scratching them, learning to tame myself.
What probably most of us urban guys don’t know is that the stem which holds the mango contains urushiol in its sap (oil). When you break the stem, the mango become a chemical weapon that when in contact with your skin can cause allergic contact dermatitis.
For my case, the reaction happened after 12 hours and got worse after two weeks. There you go, always be careful with mango sap.
I love eating mango still. 🍋 🍋🍋