When it comes to personalizing my phone, I spend a huge amount of time arranging the apps in a way that they keep me productive. A smartphone is capable of much more than just phone calls, it is a powerful tool for socializing and capturing moments. I am dazzled by the beautiful yellow Nokia Lumia 1020’s 41 megapixel camera.
I’ve been using the Lumia 1020 for a while now and I got quite a dozens of essential apps installed on my phone. On a day-to-day basis, I use my phone mainly for social networking, browsing the web, taking pictures and listening to music, not so much of making phone calls these days. I thought I’d share some of my favourite apps with you.
- Me – This is where I post quick updates to my Facebook and Twitter.
- Email – I have my Gmail, Hotmail and work mail pinned on top for quicker access.
- People Hub, Phone – Here’s where I check out updates from my groups and making phone calls.
- Alarm, Setting – Who needs an alarm clock when the phone can wake us up to our favourite tune? The Setting is there to fill up the space.
- Messaging, Line, Skype, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp – Most of my friends use Whatsapp and Facebook for messaging, and I use Skype to make video calls with my family. SMS? Still relevant to receive updates from carrier and banking institution (TAC pin).
- Calender – All my personal and work calendars are synced here. Checking friend’s birthday, facebook event invitation and following up tasks has never been easier.
- Instagram – Just add a filter to the photos before sharing. Voilà! Follow me @danliew.
- TweetIt – A great-looking Twitter app with beautiful animations and a clean user interface.
- Facebook – Update status, read what others are up to, and stay connected to the people who matter most.
- Weather – Daily and hourly weather forecast. The cloud cover and precipitation map is useful.
- Music – This is the official Xbox Music app. This app requires much polish from Microsoft though.
- Photos – Scrolling down memory lane recalling when and where photos were taken as photos are sorted by location and date.
- Photography Folder – I’ve got Fhotoroom, Afterlight, Adobe PS Express, Acolart, Ravelle, Photo Mic, PicLab and Flipagram grouped in this folder.
- Store – It’s there to satisfy my insatiable appetite to check for updates.
- Social Folder – Other social apps like Disqus, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Swarm, Open Rice, 6tag are pinned here.
- Xpense Tracker – A great tool for budgeting and recording expenditure.
- My Car – It’s here for one reason, to keep track of mileage and setting reminder for service.
- HERE Maps – Never getting lost again with offline maps. Also HERE Drive offers turn-by-turn voice guided navigation.
- One Drive – 30GB (free) of cloud storage to save photos, videos, and files. I can’t ask for more.
- One Note, Evernote, Wunderlist – My digital notebook for jotting down to-do lists and ideas when I’m on the move.
- WP Central – The official Windows Phone Central app.
- Calculator, StickIt, Files, Files&Folder Pro – Calculate the discounted price of an item on sale, write digital post-it notes and manage files and folders on my phone.
- Music Folder – Tuning in to my favourite MixRadio and Spotify playlists or just listening to the radio or podcast.
- Movie Folder – Turn video and photos into movie with Movie Maker app. Apply filter, trim/crop video or add music with Video Tuner. Movie Moments is just another quick way to make short movies.
- Lumia Folder – Panorama, Refocus, Cinemagraph, Selfie, Blink as well as Lumia Creative Studio and Storyteller are organised here .
- News Folder – I’ve got all the MSN Sports, News, Travel, Heath and Fitness, Food and Drink, Money apps together with Flipboard, Poki (3rd party Pocket) apps here.
- Booking Folder – There are not many locally developed apps in Malaysia. MAS, AirAsia and GSC are a few I found so far.
- Sound Hound – It recognises music around me. I use the app whenever there’s a nice song playing at the cafe or on the radio.
- Run+ – A third-party app for Nike+ Running.
- Data Sense – To keep me reminded of my monthly 1GB data limit.
- Microsoft Camera – It’s just there. I’m currently using the Nokia Camera beta as my default camera, can’t wait for the new Lumia Camera in the upcoming Denim update.
- Dictionary – This is my thesaurus!
That’s pretty much it.